Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Birthday of the Prophet Joseph Smith


Maybe it's just me, but I think Joseph Smith being born on December 23,1805 was no coincidence.  I personally love being able to remember him two days before Christmas Day - the day we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Both - for me in my life are HUGE events.  Both people are on my top 4 list for importance in my life.

Joseph Smith - the 14 year old boy who saw God the Father, and His son Jesus Christ.  Which, as we know, was the beginning of this last dispensation.  What a wonderful man Joseph Smith was.  I love Joseph Smith for being strong enough to restore the true church and to testify of Christ while being persecuted by many evil people.  For sacrificing time with his beloved wife, Emma, to administer to many.  For being guided by a loving Heavenly Father in translating the Gold Plates into what is now The Book of Mormon.

Joseph Smith is probably my greatest hero.  I have, for most of my life, a deep desire to know him better.  To understand his life.  To learn his teachings.  To find out for myself that he is a true prophet of God.  I am so thankful for the knowledge I have of him and everything that he did. I learn more about him each day and I love it!  I am so thankful for this man who gave so much of himself so that all of us today could have the Book of Mormon.  To have the restored true church of Jesus Christ.  To have the divine power of the Holy Priesthood.  To have temple marriages that are forever.  To have the Word of Wisdom.  I could go on and on.

I hope you will take some time today, or anytime, to learn more about this man.  I testify to you that he is a Prophet of God.  I am so thankful for him and for his countless acts of kindness and example.

To learn more about Joseph Smith, click here.

Praise to the Man (one of my favorite hymns), click here.

Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration movie (my favorite!), click here.


No comments: